Anyway, the changes were aimed at making it easier to see when someone has added a cap of yours to a gallery. I don't know if you'd ever had this experience, maybe you're the selfless sort who only wants good things for others and none for yourself, in which case I want you to give me ten dollars. But for the rest of us, the problem was when your Ultimate Archive page would warn you that so-and-so had added a caption of yours to their custom gallery. You'd click on the link, only to find that the joker had their gallery sorted by something other than "put the caps I just added on the top" and you're left sorting through a dozen pages trying to figure out what cap of yours they added. Was it this one? Wait, was that one already there? And then you'd start drinking and the kids wouldn't get picked up after school.
So I added a couple of things to remedy that sad state of affairs. First off, you can now click on where it says "this cap" in the update telling you your cap has been added.
If that doesn't grease your pig, you could actually go to the custom gallery, and then click on the newly-added-like-a-month-or-two-ago Capper Filter at the bottom of the gallery. This allows you to boil that gallery down to just a single capper's caps, like yours or who am I kidding you want to see yours. Damn, smooth!
While we're on the topic, occasionally someone expresses the concern that they might have created too many custom galleries or they're too big or whatever, like it's going to bring the site down or contribute to global warming or something. I wanted to put this to rest and explain that the custom galleries take up very, very little space on the site, so this is really not something anyone should worry about. The average gallery takes up less space than a single caption, and the largest gallery out there takes up less space than one screengrab. So don't sweat it, make a bunch.
Lastly and maybe not leastly, I've been waaaaaaaaaaay behind in acknowledging HCC's two millionth caption. You all no doubt remember the festivities last time when we celebrated Occupant's unforgettable caption number one million. Were we ever that young? Well, get ready to be and feel old because we're already well past two million now. What was the two millionth caption? I assure you balloons were supposed to fall from the ceiling when this happened last summer but you would not believe how many dead opossums we found up there gumming up the works. Anyway, here you go!
-Jazz
Odds were that the 2 millionth cap was either going to be Kippage capping about Weird_1 or Jazz capping about Bickle. At least it wasn't a blank cap of Ted's Ass without a link. That wouldn't have made much sense.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of sense, I was hoping this blog would explain No Spatula. But I suppose No Spatula explains itself. On to the 3 millionth cap!
No Spatula?
Delete- If galleries are that small, do they even *exist*? like, if you search for one on Google, will you find it there? or are they just theoretical link entities that HCC makes up on the fly for us when we select them in the pulldown menu?
ReplyDeleteSeriously I know they should be small, since they are of 100% Not Original material :) but... do they even *exist*??
Almost nothing on the site exists as an actual static "page," it's all generated on the fly. The custom galleries exist as .dat files just listing the caption numbers and the settings for that gallery. The only bit of HCC you'll find on Google is the generic listing for the site, but that's more about lawsuit avoidance than anything technical.
DeleteGood!
DeleteIt's nice to know it won't all vanish overnight, like some of our better efforts at I.S. site... at least, not owing to *that* sort of cause.
I had figured out that the Custom Galleries are basically vectors or pointers or whateveryouwant to ... call. them.
But of course, the site can vanish if the Great Green 'Gator eats it. I've seen that and I am resigned to it.
Thanks.
PS: Why isn't there a Jason Statham movie called 'The Devils Highway' ?
ReplyDeleteAnd when there is, could you grab it, along with 'A Dun-Dun-Duuuuun-geon Siege Tale' ?