Monday, April 11, 2011

Get to Know: Bigstupid


Well, I for one was amused to find out how much I had in common with Jazz.  For one thing, we've both hitchhiked in Alaska.  For another, we've both been to Oregon, Ohio, and Minnesota.  And we both have gigantic TV's.  It's like we're twins or something.

I discovered MST3K around its third Comedy Central season, but didn't get to watch it much because my local idiotic cable company, who also happened to be my employer, didn't have that channel.  I eventually got fed up and got DirecTV/USSB, which caused quite a bit of controversy around the office.

So then Comedy Central gets all dickish and eventually cancels the show.  Pretty much the day they made the announcement, I was signing up for Sci-Fi's message board to start the "MST3K to the Sci-Fi Channel?" thread, in hopes some actual Sci-Fi programming people were reading and would think "Geez, that show's still on the air?  How did that happen?"

It was on the message board where I created the "Bigstupid" login, which for those of you who don't know, is a tribute to the main character in Episode 509 - The Girl in Lover's Lane, my favorite MST3K ep of all time.

Anyway, the thread had no effect on anything, but Sci-Fi picked up the show anyway and started this whole 'capping' thing.  I was on board immediately, eventually found my way to IS, then here.

My personal favorite cap of mine happened on Caption This.  It was one of those images where everybody capping just put "(too easy)" in the box.  This is what cappers used to enter when an image looked way too good to pass up, but they couldn't actually think of anything.  Well, I did.  I somehow managed to combine the holocaust with a clearance sale.  It was the best instant feedback I've ever gotten with a caption.

Anyway, in an era of short attention spans focused on the latest new fad, I love that so many of us cappers are still around amusing each other.  

I hope I've returned a little laughter to you all.

-Bigstupid

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to a real Old School (pre-1999 CT!) capper and MST watcher... I never got into all that until after the Y2K event, when everyone lost all their money when the ATMs closed down and the banks all went bust because the computers returned quotes from The Manchurian Candidate instead of balances - you remember that, don't you? not until after 1999 in short.

    Nothing inspires loyalty quite like something that's worth it, or that keeps on giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear someone else loves "The Girl in Lover's Lane" as much as I do. A very under-rated episode!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Big, just when I've got those "Jazz and Hippie are the same person" rumors to die down, you come along with this! I'm punching myself in the face right now, so when you wake up in the morning with a black eye, you'll know why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I get it. Jazz is Big's Tyler Durden.

    "I want you to cap me as hard as you can."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've long suspected there's really no one else on this site but Jazz juggling a whole mess of sock puppets.

    ReplyDelete