Jazz's note: Eebs asked me to pass along this update to everybody, everyone think positive thoughts and play some backwards calliope music for our good friend:
Hey Jazz...
I wanted to drop you a line as the best way to get the word out to what I consider a tight-knit community of friends.
As I write this, I am holed up in my parent's home in Georgia with my sister and her family from Florida, all of us waiting in perilous anticipation of Hurricane Irma. I wish that was the least of my problems but it is merely the dismal setting.
Ever since February, I have been unable to work due to complications from Multiple Sclerosis. I sufer from nueropathic pain, which essentially is pain that does not even exist but your brain acts like it does. It feels very real and is quite extreme. On good days, it's about a 6 on a scale of 1-10. I actually have a pretty in depth journal about this but I can't locate the public link option on my tablet mobile version of facebook so I am unsure if this link will work...
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10211299097450344.1073741841.1147305120&type=1&l=f3a7203cd7
At any rate, I have been subsisting off my short term disability pay through work but that ended in August. Now I have learned that my Long Term disability has been denied due to it being a pre-existing condition. Also, my doctor is moving towards permanent disability. I have not gotten paid since August.
I don't yet know what this means but likely it means moving in with my parents and applying for Social Security Disability, getting an attorney and all of that. I may be gone again from HCC for a while. Nothing is certain.
I hate to be a downer right now. Maybe pause for some fart jokes. I dunno. I also recognize that I am hardly the only capper with life problems. I only write you today to spread the word. I want nothing and expect nothing. I am trying to buckle down and weather this all, but it's hard. So hard. Thanks to everyone for laughs and moral support. It helps more than you guys know in ways you will never know. I hope to be back next weekend maybe. Hard to tell. Everyone take care.
-E_B_A
May the Force be with you!
ReplyDeleteIf I can help in any way, just let me know!
"...applying for Social Security Disability...."
ReplyDeleteI have done that. What I had was something quite powerful: a signed statement from my doctor, about my particular medical condition, stating that I WAS *permanently* disabled by it. This seemed to have gotten the application through. If you have material like that to work with, you will probably do well enough, even without a lawyer. (I never needed one.)
I earned money at the time, I still earn more, I no longer qualify for SS aid of any kind, and have not for years. Expect, if you are not earning money, to be offered Job Training or the like... I didn't need it so I didn't get it pushed at me, just mentioned.
SSI aid should be an eligibility for a time, given lack of income. When in doubt, apply for both SS Disability and SSI aid.
That's my advice. From experience.
Be glad you're not so poor that you couldn't move from S. FLA, and that you have a parents home to go to. It's better than some get.
I wish to remain anonymous, but I'm known in HCC circles. Good wishes, E_B_A of the HCC cappers.
clover and I are sending our thoughts and prayers out to you E_B_A. Don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
ReplyDeleteUpdate: SSDI application completed and sent. Attorney contacted but they said to wait until SSA makes decision before they decide to meet with me. Doctor said anything they need to support my case will be done. I start a new med today… Lexapro. Probably getting a storage unit and moving in with the parents for about two months or through the holidays. Completed my first sheet of tattoo flash with intent to sell. Employer is secure and supportive. I am going to have to give up my cat if I move. That is incredibly heart wrenching.
ReplyDeleteWell done so far. Thx for the update.
ReplyDelete