"Suck it, chumps!"Unless you've been living under a rock for the past month, or are really good at HCC Error Message Roulette, you've probably received a "500 Error" message page when submitting a cap or lifting up the toilet seat to pee. Or you've received 382 of them, in which case I say, good job! That's a lot.
Anyway, it's been a pain in the ass and I feel for everyone who has had their caps eaten by the Hostgator. I personally had three of the best caps ever written by anyone eaten, but you'll have to take my word for that because I refused to type them again, since that would be totally basket.
At first I thought this was related to our web traffic and server load, which is fairly high, especially on Saturday nights. I experimented with turning off some of our fancier features that access the server frequently, and then I made fun of WEIRD_1 in case that would help. There was no noticeable reduction in the rate at which the site completely shit its pants.
Some suggested we change hosts, which is a nice idea, but not feasible for two reasons: One, we're paid up with Hostgator through the year 3000, a move I made both to secure us cheap fucking rates, and also because after the Minneapolis bridge collapse a few years back my family insisted I plan for my own untimely death at the hands of water, and one of the steps in that plan was making sure HCC would keep running at least for a while after I was eaten by the dinosaur that came out of the time portal I'm building in my walk-in closet. So I made sure HCC was paid up for a long while, and made Hippie promise he'd keep the site running after my untimely demise. To which he vowed that there was no fucking way he'd do that, so I guess you guys are on your own.
Aside from the fact that our contract with Hostgator is tied into the Tampa Bay Rays' Tropicana Field lease, the other reason we couldn't just bail on our host is that they have an alligator for a mascot. No, I'm kidding, the other reason is that we have over 800,000 files on our site, most of them screengrabs. If you know much about web hosting, you'll realize that's a berserk number of files and no sane host would allow that, so we're fortunate that the Hostgator isn't paying much attention to our site other than occasionally eating a cap about Brett Favre's dick.
"Thanks, Han!"Anecdotally from what I've been hearing from cappers, this seems to be working, but let me know if your experience has been otherwise or if you're actually a chimpanzee that has learned to type, because wow and we're totally into that kind of thing around here.
Otherwise, I hope your Halloween was the weeniest and I'll see you in the gallery.
-Jazz
Update (11/2): Completely unrelated to anything above, on the night of 11/1 I had to do a restore to the caption database, due to a colossal fuck-up on my part that threatened the very fabric of the universe. Thankfully I was able to restore about 99.9% of what had been lost, but you may see a couple of oddities: (1) Your spotlight cap reverting back to a previous choice, and (2) For caps that were made before 10/13, you may be missing clicks that occurred between 10/14 and 11/1. Sucks, I know, but re-spotlight that shit and I promise life will go on. If it doesn't, eh, good luck finding me.
Update (11/8): Thanks go out to those of you let me know the above fixes reduced, but did not eliminate, the Hostgator 500 errors. Based on that feedback I did some more work on the site last weekend and believe I've, at worst, reduced them to a rare occurrence. Let me know if I'm deluded on that front. The trade-off is that the caps/clicks/chat auto-refresh in the gallery doesn't refresh as frequently now, but I'm not sure if anyone would have noticed that if I hadn't pointed it out just now.
In somewhat-related news, I'm unofficially moving the Live Feed to an "I'll turn it on as a treat periodically" feature instead of an "I try to keep it running 24/7" feature. Aside from the fact that the Live Feed is a giant pain in the ass to keep running, and doesn't get capped all that much, it was also partly responsible for both the 500 errors and the recent fiery death of my home computer. Considering that we have no shortage of material for everyone to cap, right now I think the best solution is to limit the Live Feed to Saturday nights and holiday special occasions. If this makes you sad, hum a happy little tune and think of strawberries.
I'm so sorry that making fun of me didn't help with these issues.. I'm glad that you found a way around this without taking me out back and shooting me.
ReplyDeleteKeep on Capping
WEIRD_1
I haven't noticed any slowing down since last Sunday... I got a big fat HostGator CHOMP (not to be confused with a HostGator Chimp, the sort that resembles a CareerBuilder commercial on crack) just yesterday.
ReplyDeleteBut maybe they're scarcer. And yes, the too-many-processes-on-server theory is well based... that would make the assigned time-slice smaller to the point you'd just get GATOR'd. I think so.
(Given their mascot, it's a wonder that rickubis isn't involved with them.)
Cheers,
UpSky2
The Hostgator is still better than the Lou Ferrigno Spammer showing up. But not half as good as an appearance by MirandaRamsey.
ReplyDeleteI say if this problem keeps occuring we may have to take drastic measures and delete ALL tux bastard caps.
Just don't Spotlight El Tuxo, and life will go on.
ReplyDeleteWhew, I'm relieved that life as we know it isn't about to wink out. Thanks, Jazz. You're a champ. Don't look all pleased with yourself, I said "champ" with an "a". Buy yourself a banana, mate, you deserve it. Oh, and slip Han the peel the next time you see him. He deserves a little something for awesoming up his handle graphic.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jazz, for the update! Will gladly give up the live feed to keep the site going.
ReplyDeleteWe all appreciate the work you do, and probably don't say it often enough. <3
"Hum a happy little tune, and think of strawberries" - ?
ReplyDelete...I wish you could be more specific!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-CRcmjUa_Q